Raniganj is a little station on the Howrah-Dhanbad fundamental line not long before Asansol. It has a spot in the energy history of the nation, being quick to have coal mining way back in 1774 by the East India Company on an unassuming scale. The principal business house to mine coal in Raniganj was Carr Tagore and friends (you speculated right – the Tagore group of Gurudev) that later became Bengal Coal organization. East Indian railroad (EIR) went to the locale a century after the fact carrying with it the interest for coal for its trains.
The rail route line changed the whole elements of coal mining. Prior coal would be gathered at the pit heads to be taken in bullock trucks to the Damodar, and during the months the stream was traversable, taken to Calcutta by barges. This was inconsistent, costly, and on more than one occasion a season a flatboat would invert bringing about a major misfortune. The rail transport transformed everything.
The coal brought to Calcutta cost just a negligible part of the coal imported from England. Calcutta’s craving for coal was getting more ravenous due to steam ships, jute industry new businesses, and in particular, the hearths in a quickly developing municipality. EIR had the option to bring coal straightforwardly from pit heads to Calcutta in abundance of its prerequisite. Before long Indian coal began getting traded. Steel-production came to India with the principal shoot heater at Kulti in 1874 by Bengal Iron works (by and by IISCO steel plant ) followed by TISCO at Tatanagar by turn of the century. Coal became dark precious stone. Mechanical houses like Andrew Yule, Turner Morrison, Birds, KCT and scores of more modest houses participated in the race for the lucre.
In the mean time rail lines were steaming into the hinterland. Their own functional prerequisite of coal was sizable. Prior to the turn of the century, rail routes obtained their own mining lease in Giridih, later extending mining activities to close fields of Bokaro and Kargali. So did the steel plants. TISCO and IISCO began their own hostage mines in Jharia fields by 1910.
The principal nuclear energy plant came up at Hussain Sagar, Hyderabad in 1920 – by Nizam of Hyderabad – sourcing its coal from Singareni . The Hyderabad (Deccan) Company Limited had procured mining rights in 1886 to abuse coal found in Godavari valley. It changed its name to ‘The Singareni Collieries Company Limited’ (SCCL) in 1920. Gradually and consistently, coal likewise turned into the central player for power age after the main Great War. At the hour of Independence, India was creating 1300 MW of nuclear energy.
Post Independence, interest for coal went up dramatically. Coal terminated all motors of development – rail, steel, waterway ships, power age, block furnaces, mechanical boilers and furthermore the ovens in kitchens. The steel, rail lines, and somewhat power, had their own hostage mines; for the rest it was a free coal market. Public Coal Development Corporation was set up as a PSU in 1956 with central command at Ranchi in compatibility of the Industrial Policy of the country. The current rail route collieries turned into the core of the new endeavor and its concise incorporated all new mining adventures. Lining up with the long term plans it began mining tasks in Korba (MP), Singrauli (MP and UP), Talcher (Orissa), other than extending in Bihar and Bengal. More current innovation coordinated efforts with the USSR and Poland offered stimulus to present day mining innovation in troublesome mining conditions.